This simple frittata has a crisp potato "crust" and makes for a delicious weekend brunch or weeknight dinner. Look for a ham steak that is uncured or minimally processed to cut down or remove nitrates, nitrites or artificial ingredients.
- 2 Tbs canola oil
- 2 c shredded potatoes
- 1 c baby spinach
- 1/4 lb ham steak, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1/3 c shredded Gruyère cheese
- 1/3 c shredded white cheddar cheese
- 6 eggs
- 1/4 c whole milk
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly cracked black pepper
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
1. Shred potatoes and place in cold water bath to prevent discoloration and remove excess starch.
2. Heat canola oil in a 10-inch ovenproof, nonstick skillet over medium heat. Drain potatoes and pat dry with towel. Spread potatoes evenly in skillet and cook until golden, flipping once; about 10 minutes.
3. Add spinach and ham evenly over potatoes and season with salt & pepper. Do not stir and saute until spinach is just wilted; about 5-7 minutes. Meanwhile, beat eggs, milk, salt and pepper in a medium bowl.
4. Add eggs to skillet and shake slightly to incorporate. Sprinkle with cheese and cook until the edges begin to firm; about 3 minutes. Place skillet in oven and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until just firm to the touch and edges are golden brown. Remove from oven and let stand five minutes. Run spatula around the edges to loosen and slide onto serving plate.